I use a fee based structured portfolio for my clients which is designed for investors who:
- Want a strategic portfolio focus. In a fee based account transaction costs are not prohibitive when making changes. Therefore, my clients shift their focus of the investment process away from the cost of transactions and towards building a portfolio specifically designed to meet their strategic investment objectives.
- Want objective investment advice. The foremost benefit to my clients when investing is the removal of any perceived conflict of interest. In a fee-based environment, my clients are reassured that my decisions are driven solely by investment objectives. My clients and I are on the same side of the table.
- Want investment strategies to be initiated by their advisors. Investors who often look for expert advice before making decisions would choose this type of account over a transaction based account.
- Want to manage their mix of fixed income and equity investments.
For a monthly fee, this program offers you a wide variety of valuable services:
- Ongoing objective advice
- Annual fee that includes all trading commissions (up to a limited number), product switching and RRSP administrative costs
- Buy & sell decisions that are based on your strategic needs and not on commission costs
- Mutual funds purchases without front end or back end load fees
- Access to highly sought-after, top ranked research and insights
- Investment Portfolio Quarterly – an exclusive research publication with access to account information, statements, research and stock quotes
How it works:
Clients are charged a monthly fee that is a percentage of the total family assets under administration in the program. This fee is assessed quarterly, based on the average total family account balance.
The quarterly fee is deducted from the cash balance of the portfolio in the second week of the month following the end of the quarter. Although the number of trades is very liberal, the limit is designed to prevent over activity in an account. If an account exceeds its trade limit then subsequent trades for the balance of the calendar year will be priced according to the regular commission schedule.
Why my clients love it:
As the amount of assets in your accounts grow, the percentage fee you are charged decreases. I like to make sure that clients are aware of what they are paying for, and nothing is concealed.